Content marketing is a necessity in today’s digital marketing field. It is also an effective tool, especially for small entrepreneurs, to reach new customers, build trust and increase site traffic. The key to success is planning content marketing that can answer three questions:
- What are your customers’ need and desires?
- Can you provide your customers with something value?
- Can you keep them wanting more?
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when building your own strategy:
Who are your customers?
The customer is the key factor in raising profitability. As a result, it should be considered as the centre of all activities and decisions of your company. When creating content, segmenting your customers is the first step as it helps to identify your target customers, understand their behaviors, habits, and preferences. Consequently, it provides useful information to create interesting and engaging contents and to refine your marketing approach.
Tips to find out the searching trends of customers after segmenting your customers:
- Use analytics features on social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Google Analytics) to get an overview picture of customer behavior within the online environment.
- Connect face to face to get some truly unique insights from customers.
Which content marketing formats have the most impact on your customers?
Choosing popular content formats is the second step to connect with customers. Online content format is not just text. It can be under different forms: images, videos, infographics, e-books, case studies, webinars, press releases, competitions, quiz, reviews or case studies… The format of the content should be compatible with the main goals of the content, which are to entertain, to inspire, to educate and to convince. For instance, if the purpose of the content is entertaining, the suitable formats could be quizzes or contests while if educating is your purpose, e-books, instructions will be the reasonable selection. Picking the proper content format helps the potential customers engage, share, learn, become loyal customers or even entice new customers.
How to write an attractive content for online customers?
Reading habit is different between online and offline content. The style, length or structure of the content in different channels has an enormous impact on attracting customers. For instance, reading a long article in a newspaper is much more breathable and enjoyable than in online format.
Tips to achieve successful content writing:
- Stay inspire. Pick some engaging topics. You can refer to your competitors or using tools to query the keyword list as this way is good for creating content based on the demand of customers.
- Start with a direct topic or opening sentence to entice customers’ attraction and satisfy what they are looking for.
- Write the content under the customer’s position and focus on content purposes. Avoid adding too much sales messages in the content.
- Be consistent in your writing style to make customers immediately link to your brand, to build a relationship with your customers and to differentiate from your competitors.
How to promote your content online?
Spending time to promote your content online is as important as to create content because it helps to reach a larger audience.
Before creating a content promotion plan, choosing suitable channels to manage is important. There are three types of channels which should be considering: Owned, Earned and Paid channels. Promoting content on owned channels such as websites, blogs or social media sites is a typical starting point as it is a flexible and low-cost option. Earned channels help boost the customer reach of content and also add credibility. Whereas paid channels allow you to target your goals to specific customers.
Once choosing which channels to promote your content, creating a content calendar is the next step. A content calendar will organize your content marketing activity and make your content process consistent and efficient.
Tips to reach the full potential of a content calendar:
- Combine a variety of marketing channels to work together for marketing strategies.
- Make the plan achievable by using realistic time frames or highlighting special days or holidays to offer seasonal content
- Use online tools to save your time. It will help automate the content creation, distribute process and easy to keep track of the plan
- Stick to customers at each stage of calendar
Are you looking for an international tourism-focused master’s degree programme in business? Tourism Marketing and Management programme by University of Eastern Finland provides a unique learning experience for students who have finished their bachelor’s degree and are looking for new skills and knowledge in developing tourism industry in a sustainable way. Read more about the programme at www.uef.fi/tmm.